What is the first thing I should do once I find mold in my home?
At New York Mold Specialist the first thing we urge you to do is contact us to bring in a professional for an inspection and examine the problem. Frequently one only sees a small fraction of the problem but, there may be a larger issue present. There’s a possibility that mold has grown in many other places that you did not notice like, inside walls, crawl spaces, ceiling tiles, attics, under carpets, and many other sites in your home.
Is it considered dangerous if I do not see any mold in site but smell it?
Yes, very often we do not see mold, but it is there and possess a musty smell which is unpleasant and quite dangerous. When you inhale air that has been contaminated with mold you are also inhaling mycotoxins and mold spores which are hazardous to your health and can cause multiple complications to your wellbeing.
What are some of the symptoms and health complications that follow when you are exposed to mold?
Mold has a large impact on your health and could cause a variety of ailments such as, congestion, runny nose, cough, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, headaches, and asthma like symptoms. If one is exposed to mold for a longer period it can lead to a bigger threat on your health like, chronic fatigue, depression, joint pain, pneumonia, and many skin rashes and many more complications to your health if mold is left untreated.
If my home is infested with mold, is it safe to stay there?
At New York Mold Specialist we recommend you not to remain in your household if it has been infested with mold, we suggest you contact us for professional help. Should I use a mold test kit to test the mold in my home? Home test kits are not something we recommend due to them being undependable and unpredictable. It is always best to seek professional help to be safe and have reliable results, unlike most home test kits.
Is it possible and safe for me to remove mold on my own?
It is always ideal to seek professional help but in some instances your homeowner’s insurances may cover the costs, but you will need verify with your insurance carrier. According to the Environmental Protection Agency one should seek professional aid if: ● The area that is infested with mold is over 10 square feet. ● Presume that mold is in your HVAC system. ● Mold or water damage is a result of contamination of water, that may be derived from a sewage.
How would I remove mold?
Many believe that mold is not that difficult to remove however, it is a strenuous job. You need to start off by isolating the mold and set up negative pressure to prevent mold spores from spreading into other sections of your home. You must wear protection for your safety and lastly substitute permeable objects that have mold. What are ways to prevent mold? The most effective way to prevent mold is controlling the moisture in your home. Mold thrives in damp areas so constantly be on the lookout for leaks under your sink, and leaks on your roof. If you suspect your basement feels humid place a dehumidifier to get rid of excess moisture. When showering make sure to leave a fan on or open a crack of a window or door to eliminate the moisture that may lead to mold.
When would be a good time to get a mold inspection?
- After you have experienced any type of flooding or water issue.
- If you smell a musty unpleasant odor.
- If you are experiencing a leak that has been present for over 24 hours.
- If you notice stains on your furniture or building materials.
- You believe you may have mold even if it is not visible to you.
- If the residents of your home are suffering from a medical condition and the reason is unknown.